Thursday, May 8, 2008

Cross-Ireland Adventure Part 1

I didn’t think he’d agree to it. But for some reason, he did. And I was happy. So we piled into the car with all our things: 2 small backpacks, and my orange rolly suitcase and hit the road to Cork.

The way was long and scenic, the usual sights you would expect from Ireland: sheep, cattle, churches, small towns with brightly colored facades. It was beautiful in Dublin, but the farther south we went, the more grey the skies grew.

I had heard mixed reviews of Cork, but considering I had only spent my time in other main cities (namely Dublin and Galway) I wrote off the reviews as intra-city rivalry.

We pulled into a grey, rainy Cork and found our hosts waiting for us in a lovely little yellow town house. We presented them with wine, guitar music and poetry, chowed down on indian food and- bellies full and minds at ease, fell into a warm and cozy sleep.

The next morning I woke up famished. The rare ireland morning sunlight poured through the windows and roused the grumbling in my stomach. It must’ve had the same effect on everyone else because within the hour we were up and dressed and headed in search of a “real” irish breakfast. Now, I know the jokes we all make about irish food (namely: drink the beer) but man they know breakfast.

After a sheepish departure from our hosts, we went in search of our hotel. Something else that is good and glorious about Ireland: Bank Holidays. Meaning that the first Monday of every month is a holiday because the banks are closed.

I vote that we instate this in the US.

The downside to the Bank holiday of course is if you happen to be traveling during one of them. Traffic is awful, and all the hotels, bed and breakfasts, hostels and even (sniffle) couch surfing hosts are booked. But lucky for us, we scored a reservation ina cute little hotel that reminded me strangely of boarding school.

I curled up with my laptop, Die Hard playing on the television in the background and we planned our trip to Blarney.

No comments: