Monday, May 19, 2008

Borderlines

I don't know if its because of travel or because I'm just getting older. Probably a bit of both. I find myself remaining neutral on issues that I previously would've intensely researched, formed an opinion, and argued that opinion ad nauseum. It's not that I don't research things anymore- I certainly do my fair share of research on issues. It's just that I've found myself hesitating before engaging in intense political or social debate with anyone.

I've been told that traveling makes a person more liberal. And I've seen these effects first hand: students returning from foreign countries, swinging fists at american based corproations which are ruining the lives of those abroad, or complaining about our lack of healthcare or governmental services which are geared to helping the people etc etc. It's only natural to compare your home country to the outside world. I've seen the opposite happen as well, though, where Americans are so uncomfortable with their surroundings that they refuse to even partially assimilate and instead spout slight untruths about how superior the US or Canada is to the rest of the world. Being around people like that makes me feel a bit ashamed, but I know how they feel as well. I can't even count how many times this year I have been faced with a tough situation and though "oh man, we would handle this much better where I come from".

Yet this trip has picked me up and landed me right smack in the middle. I still hold my values, my opinions and alliances; however I must admit that I am far more hesitant in flaunting these as "truths" or "facts" or "the right ways of being". I've suddenly found myself of having developed a new ability to see both sides of the situation. Even a painful and political one.

I know, I'm surprised too. I'm still anti-war (I don't think anything could change that ) but now not only can I understand why an American (or anyone else whose country is involved in this war- an aspect that many people forget!) would be pro-war, I respect their opinion. Who am I to judge someone for their worldview. Because, remember, someone's world view is more than a reflection of their personal character. It's a reflection of so many different aspects of their world: socioeconomic status and interests, education, familial upbringing and involvement in the war. There are so many variables that go into a person's opinion and political persuasion that I just can't bring myself to write off someone as "an ignorant jerk" for disagreeing with me anymore.

So what? That's just a part of growing up. Well it just snuck up on me, I guess. I went to countries where I was well aware of conflict, and I went with premeditated opinions on that conflict, only to have them pulled apart and re examined once I got there. In Australia, I began to understand why it was so difficult for the native people to achieve reparations and equal treatment. In Northern Ireland I was faced with the fact that during the troubles life was scary as hell regardless of what "side" you were on.

It's easy, attractive and exciting for people to take radical sides. The independence movement is more interesting when there are guns and car bombs and violence and it *looks* like a revolution. But revolution like that hardly works nowadays. People just want to live their lives without having to worry about carbombs or propaganda.

I guess all these thoughts are coming out now because I've been in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and I've talked to people about their experiences during the Troubles and I've learned that effective revolution looks like compromise, equal representation in government and forgiveness. And there's nothing small, easy or weak about such acts- they take bravery and strength of character. I've been to Scotland where an independence referendum is being proposed, patiently, it seems because there is very little talk of "revolution" and more talk about "referendum".

No, perhaps my generation won't have as much fun as our hippy forefathers and foremothers. But perhaps this was always the way to go, dissent through discussion, small compromises making big changes.

Am I becoming moderate in my age?

I know, I couldn't believe it at first either. But upon further reflection, I think I've always believed all this. I think I always knew discussion and diplomacy were the best ways to achieve a goal. But I think the difference is, for the first time, I'm not disappointed with this method. In fact, I'm excited by it.

Because what does this mean for America's future?

I left last August feeling guilty and a bit hopeless about my country's future. But I've seen a candidate who is so well spoken, I get chills after almost every speech. I want to know more, not less, about this candidate's platform. Mainly because the idea of a charismatic candidate who can speak well gives me hope.

I was told by a recent visitor to the US that if aliens invaded the US today, they'd think one of the candidate's names was "Hope".

Gosh, I like that.

No comments: