Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kangaroos, Wallabies and Wombats- Oh my! (pictures coming soon)

So after being in Australia for nearly two months, my lovely Melbourne guides were appalled to find that I haven't seen or done many "Aussie" things (other than trying vegemite.... an experience of it's own degree). So Saturday night, after a long day of filming, we drove to Frankston, a suburb of Melbourne. Once in Frankston, my mission of experiencing the real Australia came in the form of a Mars bar. Let's clarify: a deep fried Mars bar. As someone who loathes anything ridiculously sugary and tries to steer clear of anything deep fried, this sounded like a disaster in a greasy paper bag. And, honestly, it was. But I had already given Vegemite a go, so I figured nothing could be worse than that. And so I took a bite. And in a weird way, I was transported, momentarily, back to mexico. And now I can tell you with full honesty that a deep fried Mars bar tastes a bit like what a churro (a fried stick of dough sprinkled with sugar and dipped in chocolate) would taste like if it were somehow inverted and mixed with caramel. And it was surprisingly delicious.

The next day we woke up early and drove to Phillip Island, a nature reserve a small trek away from Frankston. We arrived at a nature park that has it's share of cute and fuzzy australian wildlife (think koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and wombats) and not so fuzzy australian wildlife (think king brown snakes, pythons and other deadly creatures). But the cute and cuddly ones were let loose about the park, and we were permitted to feed anything that hopped, waddled or crawled it's way towards us.



We took a lunch break in town, and had the classic "fish and chips" which later I learned that we weren't eating fish at all, but rather shark. We got the family packet of fish and chips, which was supposidly for a family of 4 but it could've fed many many more... and of course the three of us managed to eat it all.

We wandered to the beach for a bit, before heading back to a nature park where we lined up to see the world famous "Penguin Parade" (Yeah, I didn't know Australia had penguins either...).

All in all, it was a day of cute cuddliness and deep fried food. I slept the entire way back to Melbourne.

No comments: