Monday, October 1, 2007

Nuit Blanche

Sometimes pictures do say more than words. And that's big, coming from someone who uses a lot of words. Therefore, here's my story of saturday night, accompanied by pictures because I now have my camera!!! Enjoy!

An all night arts festival took over the streets of downtown toronto on saturday night. Armed with a camera, a few subway tokens and a redbull, a group of poets and I took the streets, hoping to absorb some, you know, culture, and stuff.

I joined the group a bit late, and was promptly informed that I missed the "best guerrilla spoken word circle ever!" Guerrilla spoken word, in case you haven't figured it out, occurs when a group of poets are gathered together and are bored in a large public space. Some might say it's the best way to reach people. I'd have to agree, although it depends on the poet. They may become mistaken for some crazy end of world prophet instead of improv performer. Such a mistake would be quite amusing, but at the same time, it would defeat the point of guerrrilla poetry in the first place.

Think street corners, public parks, Starbucks, etc... I'm quite sad I missed it, but I'm sure there will be many more throughout my travels, because let's face it, poets are performers, and they love the attention. :)
So a large group of us walked through the colorful streets of downtown toronto from about 11pm till 3am, looking at interactive art exhibits, independent films and even a UFO landing.

Finally we promptly gathered on some steps to figure out our next move. It was unanimous: chinese food was needed. In short, it was a pretty colorful, artful and adventurous night.

1 comment:

Jesse B-H said...

i think you should totally cop that slogan - "so hip it hurts."

oh yea.