Sunday, August 26, 2007

Down the rabbit hole

I awoke in my grandmother’s house, only an hour from the US/Canadian border with a start. Visions of cobblestone burnt into the back of my eyes, the smell of someplace new in the air, and the pain of disorientation. Nothing had changed, not just yet- I was still in the states, my global adventure had not begun. But I felt different. A familiar difference, like slipping back into an old worn pair of jeans. After staring into the blank darkness of my room for a period of time, waiting for the disorientation to dissipate, I realized that there, are in fact, two versions of myself: one that craves stability and roots, and another that seeks adventure and change. And this disorienting feeling was a return to that alternate self. A self that I had not been for over a year. One that takes risks, and reads people, and embraces change and thrives off of uncertainty.

And so I crossed the border and made my first entrance into a long series of countries. My first stop: Toronto, Ontario. I’m staying for my first few weeks in a house owned by The Precious Blood Missionary. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and nice. The house is on a quiet street, walking distance to many stores, including a Whole Foods market.

I feel like I’m free falling into the unknown. They say all great adventures start with a single step, and I, much like Alice, feel like I’ve jumped head first down a rabbit hole. I’ve gone into another world. Or into The World. Which is not at all what I expected it to be, full of people who are not what they seemed to be, and places that are literally vibrating with potential adventure and uncertainty.

Wish me luck!

No comments: