Sunday, May 25, 2008

Scotland whirlwind

The drive up to the highlands was epic. One minute we were in Edinburgh- beautiful fairytale city, grey stones and narrow winding streets; and then we were in the country. Like a big Pow! of green and blue. A different kind of green than pennsylvania or Ireland. A thick rugged green. And then brown mountains rising up out of nowhere and no cars or houses. And castles and ruins. I felt like I was drawn into a picture book, or maybe part of a post card.

Once we hit Forress, we were welcomed into a beautiful venue on a farm. The owner- a slightly abrasive man with a thick accent and a disinclination for americans. So obviously I needed o become friends with him. Andy played to a small audience that night, and the owner lamented about lack of community support. Seems the same problems exist everywhere- people would rather go to the big cities to hear music than support the same acts in the local venues.

The next day we drove for an hour to the nearby town of Cormarty. A small artistic community set by the waterside. I don't think they even have a corner store, but they do have great art and music. The streets were narrow and the only word I could think to describe the town was "cute". Small houses like cottages, and such artistic, vibrant people all in one community. It was gorgeous.

Glasgow is Scotland's largest city, but when doing the art thing, I took the advice and stuck to the West End. Good choice. I met up with some local film makers, got some drinks, went out to dinner. Fabulous.

While in Glasgow I got a last minute message from a poet in Edinburgh. So I packed my bags and off I went.

Once in Edinburgh, I met up with Ant, a "I guess I'm a poet kinda" poet- which of course means he's a great poet. My first evening in Edinburgh I performed at a Ladyfest Open Mic in a dive cafe. It was cafe-love at first sight.

I talked PJ into coming to visit me, and I'm so glad he did. It made the Edinburgh trip that much better. We climbed Arthur's Seat, and explored the castle. We ate weird vegetarian food and gawked at the beauty of the city. Travelling is so much more fun with another person there to enjoy it with you.

No comments: