Sunday, October 28, 2007

OK so you wanted some poetry

Although I write every day, lately it's been hard for me to really create pieces that I like. But here's one piece that I've written recently that I can say is my favorite as of late. Which is not saying much. Anyway, here it is:

"On the Eve of Your Engagement"

We were tree fort warriors
you and I
We were tree fort warriors
You and I and I
was the only girl allowed in your tribe
we played with sticks and stones
carved like arrowheads and you
used to pull my hair till I cried
And I was the only girl allowed in your tribe
but you didn't seem to notice or to mind
until I was 15 and put on that white cotton dress
and we went apple picking in your father's orchard
and you left the next day

see
I've been in love with you for 7 years now
was 15 then I'm 22 now
must've been 18 then
sticks and stones may
break our bones but names
names
the highschool yearbook named you best smile
and named me nothing
How could they when everything I could ever
hope to be was already encompassed in the curl of your mouth?

And I know I may not mean much to you know
like the faint but familiar smell of childhood
in the many rooms of your fathers house
after being gone for 7 years
On the night of your return
we drove to the top of the sparkling city
and you, breathing smoke into the late august air
showed me the ring you were gong to give her

And you said
If only you were as ordinary as an apple
then the temptation wouldn't be so great
And I want to grab you by your shoulders and shake you
why every time I get near you I have to be forbidden?
When all I've ever wanted was to play eve to your adam
and together we can make humanity
out of chaos

What you don't know is
I've been behind you all these years
watching your mistakes and loving you through all of them.
Whether you believe in me or not
I've been here.
You deserve the whole world and I'd give it to you
I could but I'm here, and I'm real, you can touch me
Just turn around.
I want to say these things to you but I can't
because we were tree fort warriors once
but now the tree we climb is the tree of life
and I don't know about you but
I don't think it's worth the fall.

No comments: